Unusually bad spambot attack

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

Unusually bad spambot attack

Postby codex » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:03 am

Apologies for anyone who was annoyed by this extremely aggressive spambot attack, I just I.P. banned and deleted over 100 accounts which had been created on here from I.P.s in Russia and Thailand. I'm starting to feel like somebody out there doesn't like me.

Sorry it went on so long I was out of town for 3 days for a fencing tournament in Houston and I haven't been able to check the site until today.

A
codex
Site Admin

Re: Unusually bad spambot attack

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:36 pm

Ok thanks to Ians help we are now upgraded to the latest version of PhpBB and have a 'captcha' in place so new users should be able to register again. If you know of anyone who is having trouble getting on let me know.

On the other hand I have to keep an eye out and see if the spammers assault us again anyway in which case I might have to shut it down again, we'll see. I may have to just ban all IPs from Russia and China and some other places that is what Matt Easton of Schola Glaiatoria recommended. We'll see.

G.
Galloglaich

Re: Unusually bad spambot attack

Postby Galloglaich » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:19 pm

There was yet another hack today, my apologies. We get far fewer of these now that the captcha is up but they still try every few days it seems
Galloglaich

Return to Abbey Pub