How did you get into DnD?

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

How did you get into DnD?

Postby Galloglaich » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:17 pm

Ok... ready for a long post? :o :oops:

Yeah I was introduced to D&D in summer camp, around age 12. Loved it. Played thhrough high school and a little bit in the army. Tried most of the games which came out then, GURPS, Runequest etc.. We used to play Twilight 2000 when I was in the army in Germany, it had a certain relevence during the Cold War. I also liked Call of Cthulhu, Paranoia was fun... we also made up our own game back then with a more realistic combat system. I sadly missed out on Warhammer FRPG, which looks like it was great back then and more of what i was looking for. But after a while I was kind of put off by the 'klingon' direction the games were taking, it seemed to be too much about nerdy cliches and didn't scratch the itch any more.

Gave up on RPGs by the early 90's and got a little bit into table top war games for a while (kind of like risk only more complex) but once I moved out of town I lost touch with friends who were into that.

Then in the late 90's I got interested in RPGs again when 3E DnD came out. I tried playing with some friends of a friend who had a game going, but I was disappointed how it went. Wasn't rowdy and fun like we used to do it, it seemed kind of goofy and the "klingon" factor seemed worse than ever especially with the combat system. Butt I also didn't like the 'realistic' combat systmes I'd seen in other RPGs which seemed to be way too complicated and were more based on something like SCA combat than a real fight. I had been hoping for an opposite trend. I wanted to see something which was more like how we used to play RPGs back in the day, and more satisfying in terms of combat.... with fights that felt like a real fight I started doing research on weapons stats and stuff, I read about Oakeshott and got a lot more interested in weapons.

I was also doing a lot of reading about history and found out about Sydney Anglos book in 1999. After learning about the ARMA I met Jake online and as a sideline to the fascinating world of HEMA, I found out about his game TROS. I never did get to play the game (didn't know any gamers any more) but I started arguing with him online about some of the weapon rules. We even tested out one of our arguments (about dagger vs. sword reach) at a martial arts event in New Orleans in 2004.

Not long after that I wrote a weapons encyclopedia for his (TROS) game, and some other stuff which was published in a couple of their books. I also did a little writing for another RPG company in the UK which was based on an author I liked a lot (Jack Vance). It provided a small alternate income source which I liked (bought my first fencing mask and steel sharp from this). Meanwhile Jake sold TROS when he went into the army and I found out about the OGL / D20 license which made it pretty easy to write material for DnD. I always felt like DnD was the 'gateway drug' for RPGs and wanted to see an avenue at least for people to play more like I used to (because it seemed to me very much to be going in the opposite direction, more into a corny board game or a mimic of World of Warcraft).

I designed it to be like the fencing we did every Sunday, I wanted to bring out the interesting tactical part of the actual fight, rather than getting into a lot of details about wounds like other RPGs had done. I put in all the concepts I understood from HEMA. An Australian guy from Jakes forum helped me put together a rulebook and I published it online in 2007. It got good reviews and I got some good feedback, and kind of on the sly I told some martial artss people about it and they helped me make corrections and get hold of photos and historical data. I made two more books, an encylopedia of weapons and another one for armor.

So now I'm working on a campaign setting set in the Baltic in 1456], which is in Beta right now. I want to really look at what life (and death) were actually like in the 15th Century. Not coincidentally, this is also very interesting me from a HEMA perspective since so much of the hisory of the fechtbucher and the fencing fraternities, and the members of the Lichtenauer society come frmo this same area. The RPG thing lets me get paid (very little, but something) to do research about HEMA related topics I'm very interestred in. So now I'm trying to take it to another level.

G
Last edited by Galloglaich on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galloglaich

Re: How did you get into DnD?

Postby Arkon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:39 pm

I bought a game named Baldur's Gate. I thought it's going to be like Fallout 2 but better. I was very disappointed.
I started reading Forgotten Realms novels. Then some time later I discovered modding and I wanted to make a semi-realistic combat mod for BG1/2.
I was reading a lot about history and old weapons/armour and buying D&D books looking for interesting rules.
Arkon

Postby Galloglaich » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:31 pm

How would you compare Baldurs Gate with Fallout 2? What were the differences? What were you expecting?

G.
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:04 am

After watching the Hobbit my brother took me into his room and bequeathed unto me AD&D books. I read them through, but was too young, 4th grade, to figure out how to play with them, and didn't actually play till said brother bought me 3E. I never got into 3.5 actually.
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:52 am

I never really understood the difference between 3.0 and 3.5 to be honest.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:13 am

Galloglaich wrote:What were you expecting?

Freedom, heavily stat based dialogues - including intelligent and dumb ones, different paths through the game, multiple ways to finish (at least in Fallout 1) more "mature" stuff, etc. etc. etc.

Galloglaich wrote:How would you compare Baldurs Gate with Fallout 2? What were the differences?

Baldur's Gate is linear (like in having to go through chapter after chapter without being able to for example go to Baldur's Gate in the beginning of the game), intelligence and wisdom don't change anything in dialogues - so it's perfectly possible to have the same dialogues with a genius and a complete retard (a serious decline after two Fallouts), boring combat, etc.
Arkon

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:55 pm

How did the combat in the two games differ? The Combat in Baldurs gate is essentially DnD 3.X system, how did it work in Fallout?

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:00 pm

Galloglaich wrote:How did the combat in the two games differ? The Combat in Baldurs gate is essentially DnD 3.X system, how did it work in Fallout?

G.

Combat in Baldur's Gate is AD&D 2nd ed without stuff like parrying, charge, wrestling, running, etc. forced into real time. Horribly boring when playing a fighter. Basically one guy approaches another (sometimes getting stuck and dry-humping another character due to bad pathfinding) and then swings his/her weapon at him.
Then there's stuff like poorly implemented spells - for example Mirror Image which protects from area attacks while letting stuff like poison, ghouls touch, etc. to get through despite that only a mirror image was hit. There's a Stone Skin spell that allows bleeding after getting hit by a weapon that causes bleeding.
Also, all projectiles are self guided, so I once had a situation where my hasted character was running around pursued by a few throwing knifes.

Fallout has turn based combat. It was intended to be based on GURPS but they have lost the licence.
One characteristic thing is that it allows aimed attacks. They have a chance of causing a critical hit which can do additional damage, cripple a limb, blind, etc.
There are humorous descriptions of critical hits.
One problem is that for example shooting someone in the head has a very low chance of killing the target - there's a 50% chance for a critical hit when hitting head. Most of these critical hits don't do a serious damage as killing with a head shot with for example 10mm pistol would require first hitting with -40% to hit, then rolling a 50% critical hit and then rolling maximum damage for pistol and rolling the highest possible critical hit (another 20% chance).
It's a problem because the player character is usually alone and it means that even an extremely skilled shooter with 95% chance for scoring a headshot will probably get swamped and will die from a few random critical hits.
Arkon

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:24 pm

Yeah I think they had a problem with GURPs that everybody just always tried for critical hits to the eyes or whatever and it kind of broke the combat system. I personally always thought GURPS was overrated but I haven't played with the more recent versions. Dan Howard of Myarmoury fame is supposed to be helping them with their low-tech 4th edition, I have my doubts that he'll come up with something good but I hope he does. I'd like to see more realistic combat options out there in RPGs.

I could have sworn the Baldurs gate game I had a few years back was 2E, but maybe it was ... I think it was part of the series, something called Icewind dale? Does that ring a bell?

G.
Galloglaich

Postby drkguy3107 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:57 pm

Yep, I never played ti though, one of my friends was a big fan.
http://www.myarmoury.com ~ The most enlightening community on the web.
drkguy3107

Next

Return to Abbey Pub