d20pro

The lower Decatur Street of RpG's, anything goes at the Abbey...

d20pro

Postby Daeruin » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:00 am

Anyone used or looked at this software called d20pro? It's basically a gaming client for d20 games, but it can be customized for lots of games. You can code your own gaming rules into it and load them into the system. They already have files for several prominent games, including Pathfinder. It automates certain things but always allows you to override stuff based on circumstances or whatever you need. You can load characters into it, and it comes preloaded with all the beasties and monsters. You can upload maps (any kind of image file, basically) so everyone who's logged into the game can see it. There's a built in text chat. Anyway, there's lots of other cool stuff. I'm looking at using it since our gaming group has suddenly fragmented, and it should make certain things a lot simpler. BUT... here's the kicker. It has standard Pathfinder and/or d20 rules coded into it, which could make using Codex Martialis kind of cumbersome. I'm wondering if anyone has used d20pro or has any advice on how this might work. Theoretically it should be possible to code the Codex rules into the system, but I'm not sure how hard that would be. Any advice?
My blog: fantasy fiction, gaming, and music
Daeruin

Re: d20pro

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:31 pm

Is there a users forum for this software?

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:02 pm

Indeed, and it so happens I already have it open in another window! I made a post last night on the forum asking for advice from users on using Codex with d20pro. No responses yet.

http://forums.d20pro.com/index.php
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:14 pm

I'll be real interested to see what the followup is. If I can help you here I will, I imagine it will take a bit of work, my hands are kind of full with my freetime being taken up by Codex stuff, but this could be very interesting I think I'd love to see how this plays on d20pro, if it can be adapted. Maybe you can do it gradually, I think the Martial Pool would be the most challenging thing, followed by probably replacement of the armor class for defense and damage reduction and the different types of weapon stats.

Then later you could start putting in the Martial Feats and adding the Free Dice.

I'm fooling around with this software development language I use for work, there is a new open-source version available, I'm going to see if I can get something like Codex combat working in that. We'll see...

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Arkon » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:08 am

What language do you use?
Arkon

Postby Galloglaich » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:54 pm

Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:41 pm

It turns out the software is a fairly closed system. Users can't make modifications to the core system to implement things like a dice pool or contested attack rolls (active defense). However, it is pretty flexible in a lot of ways, so I've been able to figure out how to do some things. To represent the Martial Pool, you can create a special ability that can be used four times per initiative. To represent multi-die attacks, you simply roll multiple attacks and then keep the one you want. To represent the different weapon range bonuses, you can create different attack types with their own to-hit bonuses and damage type (bludgeon, etc., although there is no chop option). You can modify the AC to represent the lack of armor and lower base bonus (8 instead of 10). There is an option for adding damage reduction as a character trait, but you can only enter one value (i.e., you can do 2 for pierce alone, or 2 for pierce and chop and slash, but not 2 for pierce, 4 for chop, and 6 for slash). Fortunately, you can always reject or apply most things arbitrarily within d20pro to represent circumstances outside of the normal constraints. So even if the function is not built in, you can find a way to get the desired result somehow. The DM can heal or apply arbitrary damage at will, and so forth. There is also a fairly robust dice roller built in, so just about anything can be done manually. Active defense would have to be handled this way, i.e., make a "manual" roll and compare it to the attack roll while ignoring the regular AC score.

Anyway, it looks like it's possible to use Codex with d20pro, but certain things will have to be hacked. It would make the program a little more complicated to use, because you couldn't rely on some of their built in functions. But it would definitely be possible.
Daeruin

Postby Daeruin » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:49 pm

Oh, one other thing. You can define your own classes, skills, feats, and spells. So adding the Martial Feat is one task that would have to be done. It would just have to be a list of the feat names in a txt file with the feat type in front. I've attached the existing Feats file. If you have time to mess around with it, great. If not I'll hopefully be able to get to it sometime this week.

Edit: Looks like I can't attach txt files. I'll send it to you if you want.
Daeruin

Postby Galloglaich » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:17 pm

I am not likely to be able to work on this, I've got too many plates spinning already. But I'll provide any help I can.

G.
Galloglaich

Postby Daeruin » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:19 am

No problem, I just thought I'd throw it out there and let you know. It shouldn't be too difficult just to type out a list of all the Martial Feats. You don't by chance already have a simple alphabetical list of them somewhere, do you?
Daeruin

Next

Return to Abbey Pub